Getting locked out of your car can be a frustrating experience. Whether you locked your keys in the car, lost your keys, or your key fob isn’t working, a locksmith can help. A professional locksmith has the tools necessary to unlock your car without doing any permanent damage. But how much does a locksmith charge to unlock a car?
There is not necessarily a set price for unlocking every make and model of vehicle. Each situation is different and may require varying amounts of time and effort on the part of the locksmith. Other factors affect the price of automotive locksmith services as well. Here’s what to expect.
Average Cost of Automotive Lockout Services
If you call a locksmith to unlock your vehicle, you will most likely be charged somewhere between $60 and $90. Some automotive locksmith services can cost more. The exact cost varies based on the type of service needed:
- Emergency service. Emergency situations may come at the higher end of the price range because you require a fast response. If a child or a pet is locked in a car, emergency unlocking may be necessary. If your situation is urgent in any way, it may be considered an emergency.
- Trunk opening. Unlocking the trunk of a car can be more of a challenge for a locksmith, and may come at a higher cost.
- Broken key removal. If your key breaks off in the lock of your car, the cost of extraction could be between $70 and $100. Rekeying a broken key is an additional cost.
- High security vehicles. Some newer models of vehicles have advanced security systems that are more difficult to unlock. The cost to unlock a high security vehicle could be in the range of $90 to $120.
Other related automotive locksmith services include:
- Rekeying. If you need your vehicle rekeyed following a lock out, you can expect to pay between $45 and $65 per cylinder.
- Key cutting. Laser cut keys can cost between $95 and $165 to duplicate.
- High-tech keys. Transponder keys, key fobs, and keyless remotes can be pricey to have replaced. It could be anywhere from $90 to $400 or more (but a locksmith will charge less than the dealership).
- Repairing or replacing ignition locks. If you need your ignition lock repaired or replaced, you could pay between $125 and $465 (again, this is likely a better price than the dealership will quote you).
Why Call a Locksmith for Automotive Services?
If you’re locked out of your car or you need other key-related services, what are the benefits of calling a locksmith?
- Avoid damage to your vehicle. If you’re locked out of your car, you could try to get in on your own. However, by doing so you run the risk of doing permanent damage to your vehicle doors, locks, or keys. Obviously, the old fashioned method of breaking the window will get you in, but you’ll have glass everywhere and an expensive window to replace.
- Pay less than dealership prices. Getting laser cut keys, key fobs, and high-security keys cost more to replace when you order them through the dealership service department. A locksmith can provide automotive key services for less.
- Get fast service. When you have an emergency, a locksmith will help you get into your car on the spot. You’ll experience faster service for any of your automotive lock and key needs.
Texas Premier Locksmith Provides Automotive Locksmith Services
When you need help getting into your vehicle or any other automotive locksmith services, Texas Premier Locksmith has the tools and experience to help you. At lower prices than the dealership, you can save money on everything from replacement keys and fobs to complete rekeying of your vehicle. We provide a full range of services for all makes and models of vehicles.
How much does a locksmith charge to unlock a car? Call (866) 948-8188 today or request a quote. We look forward to helping you with all of your automotive locksmith needs.