Do you need to have your locks changed? Whether for your home, your business, or your vehicle, professional locksmith services can make the process easy and convenient.
Common Reasons for Changing Locks:
- You lost your keys
- You experienced a break-in
- You bought a used car
- You moved into a new house
- You have evicted a tenant
- You want to increase security
- Your locks are old
How much does it cost to change a lock? It depends on a few different factors.
Factors that Affect the Cost of Lock Changes
The price locksmiths charge to change locks varies from one situation to another. Here are some of the biggest factors.
- The type of lock. Whether you need the locks changed in your home, business, or car makes a difference in the price. Re-keying your car doors can cost anywhere from $45 to $65 per cylinder, but replacing the ignition lock is anywhere from $125 to $465. The type of lock and key mechanism your car is equipped with will determine where the cost falls within that range. Residential door lock replacement starts at $85 per hour but rekeying locks can start as low as $20. Commercial lock services are usually comparable to residential, but the more locks you need replaced the more it will cost.
- Your location. When it comes to pricing for any type of service, the cost of living in the area will have a big impact. You’ll likely find higher prices for lock replacement in large cities than in smaller towns. Competitor’s rates will also affect the cost of locksmith services. And where you live in relation to your locksmith will affect the cost of locksmith services. It may cost more if they have to travel a long distance to make a service call.
- Rekeying vs Replacing locks. Rekeying is a more affordable alternative to replacing your locks. Rekeying a lock changes the configuration of the pins inside the cylinder and will require a new key to open it. If there is nothing wrong with the existing lock, rekeying is a simple security measure that can save you money.
- Service Charge. Most locksmiths will charge a basic service fee to come out to your home to give you an estimate. The materials and labor are usually charged on top of that initial fee. The average service charge is around $30.
- Time of Day. If your service call is during regular business hours you will likely pay less than after hours or weekend service calls. Most locksmiths work regular Monday through Friday business hours but some offer extended hours that may or may not come with higher rates.
- Emergency Service. If you call for emergency services, you can expect to be charged a higher rate. This is due to the fast response time that is required, potentially after hours as well.
It is difficult to predict exactly how much locksmith services will cost without an in-person estimate from a locksmith. But the above factors will have the biggest impact on the rates you can expect to be quoted.
Texas Premier Locksmith Offers Competitive Rates for Lock Changes
How much does it cost to change a lock? If you’re in need of a Dallas locksmith, Texas Premier Locksmith charges just $30 for basic service calls in Dallas and the surrounding area. We can attempt to give you an estimate over the phone for parts and labor based on the type of service you require so you’ll have an idea of what to expect. Texas Premier Locksmith provides a complete range of locksmith services for residential, commercial, and automotive purposes.
Call (866) 948-8188 or request service today. We look forward to providing you with top notch lock and key services.